Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Rome Sweet Home    I remember when I first read the Church Fathers, the excitement I felt.  They opened up a whole new world to me, a whole new way of understanding my faith.  Prior to this I had been experiencing a profound spiritual dryness and an overall lack of direction.  I was being taught a do-it-yourself form of Christianity that left me feeling alone.  The Church fathers and my study of Church history showed me, above all, that Christianity was not only about "me and God," but was about "us and God," the Church.  The Church was more than a local community, but all of the saints past and present, including those I was then reading.  This laid the foundation for my current journey to Catholicism. I converted to Anglicanism in 2000 and found this to be a good home on the journey.  I met many people to whom I will be forever grateful and indebted.  I see going to Rome however in a sense as going home, as Rome really is the spiritual ancestor of all the Western Protestant Churches.  I have loved and cherished the traditions of the Church for a long time now.  I finally want to formally submit to them, which I see also as a submission to Jesus who founded the Church.  After much prayer and study, I'm happy to announce that I am going to be received into the Catholic Church on the Eve of the Assumption (August 14th).