Tuesday, July 20, 2004

DaPraying the Rosary   I remember the first time I seriously engaged the concept of the rosary.  I always felt the pull to the rosary itself, but was rather afraid of the content.  As a Protestant my head was filled to the brim with preconceived notions: it was vain repetition, Mary worship, a sly form of idolatry (why would anyone need beads to pray?), etc.   Of course I knew absolutely nothing about the rosary itself! The word 'rosary' means crown of roses and comes from the concept that whenever we pray we are giving Mary a bouquet of roses.  The first clear reference to the rosary comes from St. Dominic.  Catholics believe that Mary, in several appearances, has decreed the rosary as a way to combat sin and evil.   As a devotion the rosary is unique in that it is supposed to keep the one praying from distraction.  It gives us something to occupy the body (beads), our speech (the prayers), the imaginitive mind (the Mysteries), the emotional heart (the awareness that we're praying with Mary), and the depths of our soul (consciousness of God's presence).  The change of mystery after 10 Hail Marys helps to keep it fresh because all minds wander even a little. (taken from the excellent book Pardon and Peace: A Sinner's Guide to Confession by Fr. Francis Randolph).   In the rosary we meditate on the life and work of Jesus Christ.  Catholics do not worship Mary or pray to her.   We ask Mary to pray for us, as the Hail Mary says.  The rosary is joining our voices with the prayers of Mary, who is in the presence of her Risen Son.  God is the God of the living, not the dead, so we truly believe that all who die in the peace of Christ are with him.   My personal experience with the rosary has been incredibly positive.  It's been a huge blessing in my life.  I find that as I meditate on the mysteries I get new insights not only into the life of Christ, but how his life speaks to me today.  In the joyful mysteries I feel the joy Mary felt; in the sorrowful mysteries I feel the pain of losing a son and the incredible sacrifice he made for sinners like me.  The luminous mysteries bring out Jesus' true light and glory, a glory we experience in the Eucharist.  And meditating upon the glorious mysteries makes them more than just faraway history and written Church doctrines, but living events for all of us today.  That is of course what they are!   The rosary helps me to get closer to Jesus in amazing ways.  That may sound strange to Protestant ears, but remember, the Catholic Church teaches that all devotion to Mary must lead to greater love for and glorification of her Son.   For more information on the rosary please visit: www.rosary-center.org/howto.htm