Tuesday, June 01, 2004

The Memorial of St. Justin Martyr St. Justin's feast day in the Church is a very special one for me, primarily because he had such an impact in my life. As a strongly Protestant evangelical, I had always assumed that we did everything the "biblical way." I also assumed that the doctrines we learned were ancient ones that everyone had always believed. When I decided to read the Church Fathers my world would turn upside down. The first Father I ever read was St. Justin. Justin amazed me because his style of writing, his vocabulary and his manner of debate seemed so foreign. Yet, he also seemed to me to be sincere and thoughtful. Plus, since he was writing so close to the time of Christ, I figured he represented the ancient doctrines. On the issue of worship and the Sacraments, Justin's writings stood in judgment of my prejudices. I had always believed that baptism was an empty symbol, something to be done because the Bible advised it. Yet Justin referred to it as regenerating us. Worship for me had been something akin to a party: free, contemporary, and a plain good time. Justin's description of early Christian worship was one of Scripture reading, liturgy, dignity, meaning, and weekly Eucharist. I remember asking myself, "why don't we do things like this?" On the topic of the Eucharist, I had never been taught much. However, I "knew" that it couldn't have been anything important, just a symbolic meal. Yet, Justin referred to the Eucharist in terms of change, that the bread and wine are the Body and Blood of Christ. This blew me away! I did not realize the full implications of Justin's writings (or that all the Church Fathers affirm in some way or another his basic insights on worship and the sacraments) until later, but the seed was planted. I remember asking myself what authority Justin had. After all, I too was able to interpret the Scriptures for myself. Other than antiquity (which I did value), he had his "fruit." He had given his life for his Lord. That was a very strong argument for his authority in my mind. Because God led me to pick up St. Justin 5 years ago, I am an Anglican today, probably soon to be Roman Catholic. I have entered into the mystery of the worship of the Church and her Sacraments. Thank you St. Justin, for your sacrifice and your writings.