Tuesday, May 25, 2004

A Journey Begins... I remember hearing an Episcopal priest friend of mine compare the Episcopal catechism's definition of the role of Scripture with the Roman Catholic catechism. The Episcopal one was an exercise in minimalism, hedging and accomodation; the Roman catechism was filled with depth, beauty, and quite frankly, to a hungry soul, sustenance. As the crisis in the Episcopal Church and the Anglican communion grows daily, I've begun to examine where I belong in the vast expanse of denominationalism. I believe in an ancient-future vision of the Church. Now it's just a matter of where God is calling me to use that vision. I'm not committed to leaving Anglicanism or becoming Roman Catholic (or anything else), but am going to spend the next several months in prayer, deep thought, and study, to determine exactly where God is calling me. I want to chronicle this journey online, on this blog. It's not going to be spiritual voyeurism, but will be an honest look at my questions, struggles, and discoveries. There will still be my comments on the church year, my usual sarcasm and cynicism towards the mainlines, and my general grandstanding. But for the next few months most of the posts will relate to this journey, my wandering. As Tolkien noted: "all who wander are not lost." Indeed, I view this as a huge step in being found. As a catholic, liturgical, and sacramental Christian with a love for (and Master's degree in) Church history, I consider Roman Catholicism, Greek Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, or a continued place in Anglicanism to be my chief "options." Yet, I'm not going to prejudice the work of the Spirit. He will lead me, I believe, where he wants me to be. I'm going to start by reading the whole Roman Catholic catechism, a big goal to be sure. But, if I go to Rome, I want to be sure I know what it means to be Roman. To that end I'm going to visit Roman Catholic churches over the summer. I'm also going to read about the stories of others who have made the journey to Rome or elsewhere. I'm not really interested in apologetics; I have heard every argument for being Roman Catholic, Baptist, etc. that is out there. I'm interested in stories, stories of changed hearts, changed lives, and changed souls. To that end, I've added a comments section. If you wish to share about any topic I've brought up, please feel welcome. I have also changed the blog template to a lighthouse. That symbolically reflects the path this blog (and myself!) will be taking in the next few months. Thanks to all who read this blog and for those following this journey, I ask, above all for your prayers.