Sunday, November 02, 2003

This is it; the deed has been done. Robinson is now consecrated. I'm usually never at a loss for words, but they seem to be getting stuck halfway today. This is a period of intense sadness. Sure, there is the anger and the sarcasm, but they're just ways of covering up the pain I feel at the course of action ECUSA has taken. When I converted to Anglicanism, I fell in love with the "Anglican Way." Being Anglican also meant, in the USA, becoming Episcopalian. So, I also fell in love with the Episcopal Church. It has been a generally happy, but somewhat rocky 3 years, filled with moments of discovering exactly how far the Episcopal Church has moved from the historic faith. But, I treated them like a spouse often treats revelations of a mate's infidelity: with rationalisation and denial. I figured that there was a silent orthodox majority or that our youth would save the church from ruin. But, I was wrong. The Church I loved has disappointed me in such a profound way, words cannot express it. Today is like the start of the divorce. It is appropriately the calendar day for the Day of the Dead (although it is translated to tomorrow). For many people, their relationship with the Episcopal Church, the Church they loved, is dead. The betrayal, hurt and disappointment are just too much to bear. However, there is hope; the Anglican Church in America will be raised up from the ashes and apart from ECUSA may now be able to finally engage the mission field that is the Americas. We will at last be freed from a hierarchy that has never quite gotten over the theological and social fads of the 1960s. Today is All Saints Sunday in the Episcopal Calendar, a traditional day of baptism. The symbolism of death and new life in baptism is appropriate. Today may seem like a day of death for many in ECUSA, but out of death comes new life. God is doing something new in American Anglicanism. Thanks be to God.